This website is maintained by EPIACUM HERITAGE CIO, a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (a registered charity No 1178087).
The charity is responsible for the protection, stewardship, management and development of the scheduled monument known as Epiacum Roman Fort, and works to explore and develop the site for the purpose of public participation, access and enjoyment. There are no employees of the charity, and it is sustained entirely by the efforts of volunteers (including Trustees and the Archeological Advisory Board). The Directors meet every 2 months. These few volunteers help with the governance and development of the organisation, and in the delivery of specific pieces of work such as:
- annual working party days making the site ready for opening, processing finds from earlier work
- designing and writing promotional material (leaflets, panels, social media, website)
- leading activities (e.g. guided walks, fundraising events)
- promotion and communication (e.g. TV and other media appearances)
- maintaining the Friends of Epiacum and writing the quarterly newsletter
In previous years the charity has successfully completed several archaeological and engagement projects including the ever popular Molehill Surveys (in partnership with Altogether Archaeology) and the HLF funded EPIC Epiacum, and a Start Up Grant. The site’s profile has never been higher, with past media coverage including BBC1’s The ONE Show and ITV’s Further Tales of Northumberland with Robson Green.
For information on the “Friends of Epiacum”, please visit the Get involved page.
For videos showing what we get up to visit our YouTube Channel